Monday, April 5, 2010

Next Generation of Mothers


Tonight my only daughter returns to work after having her own little daughter just 3 months ago. I'm so glad she had the three months with her daughter. Her last child was born before she was ready and pushed her to adulthood. This tiny girl came when she wanted her most and was ready with a marriage, health insurance, and a means to support her. Even in this time of preparation, the day comes when Mom returns to work. I remember going back to work when she was just almost 6 months old. I had enjoyed my time with her but I had also made her unwilling to drink from a bottle so I would race to the sitter's house down the street from the school I worked at and feed her at lunch. She also moved to cereals and other foods sooner so she could get through the day. We had a glorious time after school, sitting in the rocker and reconnecting with a little nursing time. I went back to work sooner with my son, but the sitter was his Dad, so that felt like a good time for them. I still raced to where ever he was for the next several months to have a quick feed during the lunch hour. He was so easy because he could eat both sides in a matter of minutes and send me back to work.

My son-in-law has duty tonight with his tiny daughter who is spending her first night without her mom. It will be good for both of them to learn how to meet each others needs. But I know that tonight my daughter is fretting on the 3rd floor of the Medical Center. Wishing she was home with her daughter and wondering if she still knows how to be the nurse those patients on the 3rd floor need. On the news tonight, they talked about the scientific research on the benefits of breastfeeding for 6 months but yet even in the best of circumstances, 3 months is what mom and baby get. In this time of health care debate, I wish we were further along the debate to be talking about getting at least those 6 months that they are finding to be so critical. I hope my daughter can find a way to keep the breastfeeding going beyond this go back to work time. I hope that we can become a nation that can adapt to what we find is most important for babies and for helping mom's to make it work. Good luck my daughter and kisses to Dad and baby tonight!!

4 comments:

  1. Touching. I am sure this is an awful wrench for Mother and for Daughter, too. I hope that she can get through the next few months without feeling too bad or that she is failing her daughter. I look back on my mother who felt she did not have time or inclination to nurse any of her daughters and there was a definite disconnection. It sounds like Geneya has struggled hard to establish a nursing connection. Ronda put the website for this info you are sharing about breast feeding on FB and Geneya will be interested to know that she studying the next few months to become a lactation expert recognized nationally by taking this test she has to pay $560 to take, but she has always been a good studier so she thinks that she can pass it and then a job working at something she is very interested in might be available. Many kids have survived what Baby Taylee is going through so that is some comfort. Her parents seem very proud of her and that's a plus, too. And her Grandma, brother, Grandpa, and a whole bunch more are most interested and concerned over her welfare. Your concern is understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More and longer breastfeeding takes care of so many colic problems...I heard of the study too. I hope Geneya can provide the milk for times she is gone. It's hard on the baby to go back to work so soon. (and mom) I hope both do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard for mothers now days when two salaries are need for all the bills. I know Carissa hated to leave her babies, but fortunately her work hard a nursery. What a darling picture of the baby. She looks fat and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entry brought tears to my eyes. Just looking at this darling baby and knowing Genaya will be agonizing about how the little beauty will get along without her and the comforting breast at feeding time. Taylee will soon learn that Mom will be back and the strong love will prevail. It was nice to have you share this wrenching occasion with us.

    ReplyDelete