Sunday, March 21, 2010

Going Political

One of the interesting parts of retiring, especially retiring at 50, is that you really have to think of another half of a life of things to do with yourself. Also knowing that you are on the short end of life, you try to think of things that have meaning, importance, durability, significance to others, and on and on. I had some ideas of what that might be before I retired. I knew that I wanted my tasks on this side of retirement to involved more creativity. I also knew that I wanted to be my own boss. I also wanted to make contributions to the things that matter most to me. I do believe that I am an educator at heart and my mission is education. Even with the Boulder Heritage Foundation and the Festival, I want to learn more and I want others to learn as well. That's why I'm in charge of the educational components of the festival and have added birding and creative writing as additional projects. But I also believe in the importance of public education. All children must have the opportunity for a free, relevant, rigorous education. It is the most important thing that we should spend our tax dollars on. So one other goal in retirement was to find ways to be involved in strengthening public education. I was always interested in the Garfield educational system and conducted inservices in Garfield County every chance I got. Well I'm taking my next step as a resident and have recently filed to run for school board for Garfield County School District. The area this position serves is Boulder, Antimony, Ticaboo, and Hatch, an interesting collection of the smallest of the small. Garfield Co. has struggled recently with some major financial problems and lawsuits. I hope these issues will not get in the way of providing the best possible education for these students. I look forward to this run and getting the chance to hear from parents, students, teachers, and other residents in this area. It will be interesting since I think the last family member that ventured to the political was Aunt Nethella and she served in a democratically dominated house right here in the State of Utah. So it's been a while. But venturing to this new arena should definitely shape my retirement and the goals I have for this new place in the second half of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I think this is a wonderful idea and I hope that you find it an interesting run and get elected. I am sure they are going to get to know you over there! You have already done a ton with the Festival, book projects, and workshops. Good Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I think as your life in Boulder evolves you will find all kinds of ways to be involved, (as if you are not already). I'm still trying to figure that out for myself. I'm finding after a couple of years off from teaching, I really do miss it. I'm missing my Boulder today. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are an ambitious girl. Your your mothers daughter alright. She was always thinking, 'Now what can I do.' With your father being an educator you are a natural. Garfield District will be very lucky to have you on their board. See, I have already got you elected. Good luck in this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now Cheryl, don't just assume people will vote for a smart, thoughtful, caring, political representative who is part King,
    (they think they are smart) and part Roundy
    (but not religious in the right way) and came from the schools in St. George no doubt wanting to run things! So do get out and campaign. Make good Roundy Jokes. (Or even a Roundy campaign manager.) How do I become a resident of Boulder before election day? I would vote for you in a second. Have a great run...people will discover you want only the best! And will vote for you!

    ReplyDelete