Monday, March 8, 2010

Girl Friends

Had a wonderful evening Saturday night at Dianne's house where she taught us about making sauces and gave us the opportunity to eat all of the amazing food she was instructing. It was an evening of girlfriends. I am feeling very lucky to be included in a group of amazing girlfriends so soon after moving here. They truly are incredible women. Another added advantage was getting to take my daughter with me as well (Steve may not have seen it as such an advantage since Taylee cried most of the time she was gone). It was great to let her see how important girlfriends can be and also the interesting and creative ways in which you can gather. She left talking about how she should do this - invite her friends over and do something as unusual as cooking great food together and serving it beautifully. I hope it will inspire her connections with other women as much as it has inspired me. When you go to this much trouble in the connecting, it is such a valuing of those friends in your life and a message about how special they are to you. I was also inspired to be more adventurous and bold in the kitchen. I have always felt like a terrible cook but I now have the recipe for Orange Beurre Blanc Sauce. This evening could change my perception of my own adequacy in the kitchen and therefore change my life in small kitchen kind of ways. I'm getting my shopping list together so I can have all necessary ingredients to make Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Balsamic Syrup. I may even venture to Hollandaise Sauce so I will be ready when those asparagus heads start peeking out of the grass along the creek. (I have plenty of time to practice since there is about two feet of snow down there now.) Once again thanks to Dianne for allowing me to be a part of creative and delicious cooking, beautiful table settings and stemware, and most of all interesting and intelligent women of Boulder.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting evening with the girls, sans baby! Steve was no doubt ready for you to return. Great to hear about what goes on in "new boulder".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always spent a lot of time enjoying women friends, usually related to me and don't know how anyone can get along without someone to talk about cooking, clothes, books, male companions, politics, etc. It is not always possible to keep an interesting male companion about, but some women friends you can keep forever if you are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed your report of what you do on Saturday nights in Boulder. I am very glad to hear there are many creative woman living there now.

    I belong to a study group where we take turns serving breakfast before we get busy on our work book. We have had a lot of fun thinking of unusual things to fix for breakfast. Also seeing how pretty we can make the table look with fancy dishes, place mats, flowers etc. It is a small group so it is easy. I am always glad for the opportunity to use my many dishes. I love pretty dishes so my cupboards are jammed.

    ReplyDelete