Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quilts



I'm thinking about quilts today since I'm working with Sheree on trying to put together a video presentation about quilts that will be shown at both the Escalante Heritage Day and the Boulder Heritage Festival. I have collected some pictures of old quilts and taken a lot of pictures of the process of putting together a quilt that I did for my son's wedding. I also have my sister and her husband busy tying one of the quilts they did this winter. The quilt picture I have posted was the camp quilt that I received from my Grandma Roundy for my wedding. I love this quilt because it is so much of the time period it was created. If you looked at it, you would know I was married in the seventies because all the pieces are made of polyester. If you knew my Uncle Claron during that time, you would recognize many of the shirts Aunt Ruby made for him. It is tied with a crowfoot stitch and my Grandpa said that it was so warm you could just put it in the room with you. This tradition of giving a quilt for a marriage is long standing in my family. I'm not much of a quilter (yet) but I still feel compelled to get the quilt done for the wedding. A camp quilt is easier since it doesn't have to be perfect. When babies are born, that's also the time of the quilt. My sister just finished 6 or 7 baby quilts for Haiti children. Her husband is great at the tying. I have one picture of him that says "Real Men Quilt." I love that because he is a real man that has no qualms about quilting. I haven't done baby quilts but I usually crochet around flannel blankets. My grandma made beautiful quilts. I have a beautiful tricot quilt she made and also a pieced quilt that she made for my wedding in addition to the camp quilt. My step mom also gave me one of Grandma's old pieced quilts that I dearly love. The hardest part with quilts is that they are too beautiful to use so they end up in a cedar chest waiting for the next generation to own them. I think I might put them out and enjoy them if I didn't have dogs. Maybe after the dogs are gone, I will enjoy my quilts. I also have a quilt that my Grandma King made that was on my Mom's twin bed when she was growing up. That is an interesting quilt. I always loved quilts my Aunt Ann made for graduations, weddings, and babies. Her quilts were useful and get used. Every quilt has it's own story, I'm sure. Maybe I'll start working on those quilt stories. I'm thinking we will have the quilt display on Friday of the Festival and the Saddles on Saturday, both are so impressive. And then let the stories begin. Tell me your quilt story.

5 comments:

  1. Quilts tell a story, yes they do. I think all the ladies would respond to a celebration of quilting as there is such a history of that in Boulder. We all have our quilt stories who lived there and in all those little towns, quilting was such an integral part of what the women had to do for their families. I still sleep under my anniversary quilt Ann conceived and made way back when, every winter. The stories are all in each family block. A great quilt. It is hardly worn, so I will bequeath it to my daughter Ronda who I am sure will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a quilt out of the material my daughter, Carissa, brought from africa. Only trouble I got impatient and sewed around the blocks instead of tie it. The front looks good, but since I had no blocks the back looks like...hell. It is suppose to be her beach qiult. I guess the sand won't look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mothers philosophy was to use stuff. She made me a beautiful wedding ring quilt. I USED IT. Finally after many washings it tuned to shreds. Somehow it ended up as a bed fir Robert's beloved dog Woodrow. I was a little bit miffed but retrieved a piece which rest in my cedar chest meaning nothing except to me.


    LeFairs mother made lots of Lone star quilts for grand kids etc. Lefair has a lovely top. I tried to get him to hire someone to finish it. Even offered to pay half. No cigar. I just felt it deserved to turn into a beautiful warm quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meadow, Addie, Jessica, and I all bought materials for quilts. Meadow and Addie are sewing their own 12+12. They chose their colors. I bought to finish Addie's crocheted one and Jessica had another one in mind. So we are quilting in Panguitch! The quilt walk festival will come. I had these great quilt ideas made with a pillow that LaRae, then Jason drew for me. Wonder if Jason is up to all his neices and nephews something? I put pictures on quilts first, then decided that a pillow would work better so the quilt could be used. I still try to figure out something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl post a picture of the one you did Goeff after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete