Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Community Language


In Boulder, we have the opportunity to do the most interesting and unusual things if you have the courage to venture beyond your comfort zone and because my goal since moving here is to go beyond the usual, we venture. Last night we joined the gather of the Men and the Women’s Councils to celebrate the solstice. It was held at the silo at the Red House Farm, formerly owned by my great-grandfather, John King so it always has meaning to be there beyond just a nice place to be. It was a small gathering. The topic was a focus on community and understanding that we all have gifts and wounds. There were many interesting thoughts around the topic but one part that got me thinking beyond the evening was a comment about how each group in a community has its own language. If you possess the language, you are accepted into the group, if you do not it may be more difficult to be a part of the group. I think few of us understand this idea because usually everyone speaks English but it may take having those that do not to help us understand that there is also the language of the group.

Being a part of a group called Educators, this is really evident. We have lists and lists of acronyms we use to talk about almost everything including the students. Then we wonder why parents don’t participate in their student’s educational process. It is a different language and one that can make those without that language feel stupid. Even in this small town there are several different groups who possess their own language. There are the Mormons. You can easily identify them by their language. I was watching a couple on the Today Show whose son had nearly drowned. I knew they were Mormons even before it was confirmed that their home was in Provo. I appreciate knowing how to speak Mormon even if I’m not actively participating. I can connect with members of my own family as well as certain people in the community. There are the Intellectuals here in Boulder. I can usually speak their language fairly well although it’s more work and I’m not as comfortable but I always love the challenge it provides. There are the Laborers. I love their directness, their humor, even their crudeness. It is honest and refreshing. I can speak this language as much as girls are allowed to speak it. I know there is a part of the language that is never open to women but I like hanging out on the edges. There are the New Agers, not sure that is the best label but they find spirit in everything. It is a language I love although I’m far from fluent. I listen more here. You might think there is a language of the Environmentalist in this town but when you live in this town, you love the land. You miss it when you are away or even if you drive it in the dark. You find ways to be outside, to walk across a stretch of sandstone or through a grove of aspen. In Boulder, everyone is an Environmentalist.

All of these many languages I have described are interesting and beautiful. However, the language can also create a barrier keeping everyone else out if you aren’t careful. If you are only comfortable with those that speak your language, life is going to be pretty much the same every single day. You will begin to believe that only people who speak your language are good or worthy. You’ll probably even start looking alike in ways that aren’t very attractive. You’ll never find out that you are very similar to these people who don’t speak your language. You’ll find the more you talk to them that even your language will change. You’ll learn things you never knew about building, sharing, breathing and life. I think the most interesting people in this town are those that speak many languages and travel in and out of the many groups of this town.

So be courageous. Move beyond your comfort zone. You never know what you might find on the other side of some place you've never been. And when you gather with your tribe, listen for that person who doesn’t speak your language and invite them in. Teach them your language or better yet, learn theirs.

4 comments:

  1. I have always found this topic to be very relevant just about anywhere you go. We have the Westward Ho language here that usually consists of a lot of temper tantrums and complaints, "Can you believe the damn elevator is down again, I am calling HUD. Or "we only had one elevator and somebody spilled coffee in it, so I told people when I came out be careful somebody spilled coffee and this black guy said, 'are you sure you didn't do it?" Just then she sees the black guy and says in a voice amped up to highest intensity, "I don't appreciate you making remarks accusing me of something I did not do!" He snaps back something I tried not to hear. She tells me, "I have to leave this place before I go crazy!" I nod and smile and rush off. I think will I be able to speak some other language, I hope, soon?" Over to the Farmer's Market now they are young and into the sweetest nicest cultivation of customers willing to pay higher prices for organic. Westward Ho customers often say, "You said $3 for these tomatoes, you can have them!" Oh language tells us so much about people! I really got a kick out of your examples. I often recognize those types wherever I go! Nice you don't have to include 'crack head lingo' and 'the homeless nut cases' "you said what?Scream, curse @#%@ &!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just read this post and it is really, really strange. Its even interesting to examine the 'language' that we have used to talk about different languages! My, my, total lunar eclipse, esp, collective thinking, all rolled up into one. Affirmation and sublime...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the body language? Where one can gesture and you know where they are coming from.
    I am missing the swimmers, when you complain about the water, too cold? and then go...hearing nothing for an hour and then quick smiles and gone. All kinds of active body language...no words spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep there is definitely different languages for different groups. Your blog was so entertaining and got me thinking about my various Phoenix groups. There is the scrabble group with lots of the intellectuals you speak of. They of course are the champion players and can be a bit intimidating. The Executive homes group, where I am really the most comfortable as they are into joking and much laughter. They bring out the humor in my language and appreciate that I can still be witty at my age.

    The writing group who are most versatile ,but extremely supportive of each other. Lately I've been going with my friend Sandy to a group to watch really highbrow movies. That is pretty much out of my comfort zone. For one thing lots of su-titles which I don't do well with my vision impairment. My family pretty much speaks the same language but strangely enough if the group most subject to misunderstandings and periodic melt downs. Then there is the Boulder King website group---Sometimes comfortable and sometimes not. I don't know exactly where I stand as I certainly not a King. (Although my name stands for Queen in Spanish) So I guess that is good enough. These people are surely interesting enough and and dear to my heart so I wont be giving them up.

    ReplyDelete