Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Retiring Life

It is amazing all of the things one can become involved in for the retired life. Today's Grandma really isn't going to be sitting in that rocking chair except for a quick break. Election Day brought a new job as Garfield County School Board member. With that there will be a lot of preparation to get up to speed and being able to do it well. I'm excited to find ways to improve education for the students of Garfield County. I'm also working with a group of people here in Boulder to set up an arts council. This will be fun to see how we can get the community involved in creating the council and then putting together great art events as well. I'm also trying to help the Escalante Heritage Center figure out how to raise a couple of million dollars for a new center that spotlights the Hole-in-the-Rock Expedition. Finally, I'm involved in the usual planning for the Boulder Heritage Festival for July, 2011. My personal goal for this year is to write more. That tends to be the thing that gets pushed back a bit more but I'm hoping with more alone time and the quiet of winter coming on that I will get at that goal better. We finished up another incredible creative writing conference last month and that should inspire me way into February.

So retirement is just right with getting to choose the things that I want to do but still having time to visit the kids and the grandkids. Travel is a little more reduced this year from last year, but that's ok too. I do love my life and living it in the most beautiful place in the world.

3 comments:

  1. As they say, you will soon be wondering how you ever found time to hold a full time job down, you will be so busy. But that's good. You still might get a breather now and then as you try to do all you were putting off until you did retire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ih Cheryl, I am worried that you will not be able to find a thing to do with your time. Too bad. You could get bored you know. Taylee will be mad if you dont run over and kiss and hug her. Colby will never let you get by without lots of visits. Sleep tight tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you will enjoy your new elected post, but the writing is what will bring you most satisfaction. And, of course, the grandkids. Get that poetry done...and other things too.

    ReplyDelete