Thursday, February 18, 2010

Finding the Old in the New






















Reflection

It is on the first page of grandma's old photo album
glued to a black page
like we would never want it any place but here.
It could be my granddaughter, born just a month ago,
the same face that is the wallpaper on my phone
round cheeks, dark hair, widows peak, frowny white eyebrows.
This photo is black and white and is my mother
taken over seventy years ago probably
someplace up the hill or across the creek from here.
Her face finding its place once again
on my own first granddaughter.
I hope she also possess her great grandmother's heart,
her intellect, her creative eye, her sense of fairness.
It will make travel in this world more difficult
but worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting contrast. I am sure LaRae is pleased. Their noses are what surprise me. I have never seen that photo of LaRae before. Glad you have it to add to all the ones you will be collecting of Taylee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you see them side by side, Taylee looks even more like LaRae..same nose. Great contrast. You should have got Geneya's baby one here too! Then we could check out all three...and what about you? It's fun to see generations together and wonder about what the new person will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite amazing really. It was fun to compare these baby pitures. I hope Taylee has LaRae's generous spirit, and somehow I think she will.

    It was very interesting tyo me because all the babies in our family look very different. The family resemblance seems to ccome more in adult hood and especially in old age. We take on each others manerisms.Maybefrom being around each other.Habits become strong.

    ReplyDelete