Sunday, November 15, 2009

Time To Start

I have some great role models for retirement so I will start this first retirement entry dedicated to them. With each of my mother's sisters all in their 60's and 70's blogging away and encouraging me to follow suit, I suppose this is inevitable.
I kept thinking I wanted my blog to have a specific purpose, more than just what I'm doing each day and with so many of my friends and colleagues facing retirement, I thought that might be my purpose. I retired 2 1/2 years ago but continued to work part time until last May when both my husband and I decided to fully retire and to move to Boulder, Utah. We have always loved Boulder but it is a very small community and it would have been difficult to make a living here and also to keep both of our children happy especially the one that loved all sports and eventually received a scholarship to play football in college (they don't play football in the local high school of less than 100 students in grades 7 to 12). So we waited for him to graduate. We also had my mother-in-law, daughter, and grandson living with us, so that was difficult to consider a move. But in the last couple of years, everyone has found their place and the time seemed just right for this move.
I want to focus on retirement because I see so many people struggle with this phase of life. There are many concerns about retiring; will there be enough money to get to the end, will there be adequate health care without a job, will I like my spouse well enough to just hang out together, will I have any value without my job title, what will I do with my time, and on and on. I have considered these concerns as well and I know I will face many of them even further as time goes on, but I also have the experience of seeing my mother die of cancer at age 51 and my father-in-law died at 47 of a heart attack. I know too personally that all of this can end at anytime and I don't want my whole life to be work or one job even I really loved that job and was very good at it. I think there might be some other things I will love and some other things I am good at. That is why this blog is titled "Directions 4 Retirement." Maybe I can provide some directions to make this step easier for someone else but more importantly for me it is the directions that I will take in my retirement. It is a journey that I look forward to even if I can't fully envision where it will take me. But I believe it will be a great ride.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great name, and I started by placing my name as your first follower, and I will post your link on my bloglist. I just know you will never be withut ideas, happenings, events, poems to put in your blog! Because you are always doing something interesting. I am pleased to see you in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you can help all those retired figure out what to do with lots of time and no money. We used to have money and no time. (never lots of money). We do need someone out there figuring it out, just what direction to move.
    I will be fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great surpriose to see your blog this mornig. I'm sure you will be one of the most interesting of all. The first rush of blogging I was full of ideas but now have to take some time off here and there. I think you will find that the idea of lots of time after you retire is an elusion. There are so many things to do I don't have enough time. I love not having to stick to a strick schedule. Hope you do to.

    ReplyDelete