Monday, November 16, 2009

Do What Scares You

This has become one of the most important goals of my retirement. So far it has lead me on an incredible eight day motorized boat trip down the Colorado River across over 100 rapids. Yesterday it included a totally different kind of experience. We (my husband and I) are a part of the Red Farmhouse Community Farmers Co-Op and we receive a box of vegetables every two weeks. In one of the boxes we received a very large turnip. Neither of us have had much experience with turnips. We decided we must not have been as poor growing up as we thought we were since we were lacking any turnip experience. So we searched the Internet looking for a recipe that would include turnips. I found "Bacon Turnip Mash". I thought bacon might help hide the taste of turnips, so we went for it (even though I think it did scare both of us a bit). It was ok but probably a waste of good bacon, so I doubt we will go that direction again. Our next adventure is going to be beets. We both had beets in our childhood homes (yeah, so they were trailer houses) and we both decided to not like them from an early age, but we are now at this new and incredible age, so we probably should be bold and experiment with beets. So there maybe some beet soup in the upcoming days of our retirement.

2 comments:

  1. I love raw turnips. When I crave a turnip, I buy and eat. I don't like the very mush cooked turnip, but Tom likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, so glad someone is blogging about turnips. I just bought 3 delicious turnips at the Farmer's Market. They were so good, nice and fresh, I contemplated what this farmer had done that was different than the other farmers selling turnips. I concluded he WATERED his enough, so now I have got my eye on that farmer who came still grimy from loading his veggies from the fields, as I know he is not stingy with water like that other guy over in the corner. Yes, eat them raw. Cooking ruins them. Beets on the other hand. I cooked some of those and put a little vinegar on them, plus ate some fresh tomatoes and cucumber with vinegar and had a vinegar attack that night. Did not drink enough water to wash the vinegar out, touchy stomach brought on by a dreadful summer flu, too many fresh raw vegetables. Wonderful! You will soon feel like walking ten miles and finding another old road, you will be so zippy and full of vitamins.

    ReplyDelete