Thursday, March 31, 2011

Farewell Aunt Margie


It is much too soon to be blogging another memorial but I do want to acknowledge the passing of my Aunt Margie. The loss of her is painful on many levels. She is the aunt that looks most like my mom and is also a lot like her in their work ethic and business savy. Her passing brought back all the hurt of losing my mom so many years ago. It is also losing a future of really great conversations with my Aunt Margie. Engaging in a conversation with her could take you to a deep discussion in so many areas that are off bounds in most circles. Just last fall at the writing workshop, Steve and I were at the town hall getting coffee ready for the workshop participants at 7am. Between 7 and 7:30, we had quite the discussion about homosexuality, not like who is or isn’t, or is it good or bad but where does it come from, why does it exist and on and on. With Aunt Margie, if you weren’t trying to better understand family members, you were discussing religion, politics, sex, or some other taboo topic. I loved these conversations and the opportunity to think way down deep. Her passing also reminds me that my other aunts are near her age and I may not have them forever. I really have been blessed with incredible women in my life and my aunts have been right there at the top. They have made me think and they have helped me to believe in myself. I can do anything I choose to do because they said so and showed me in so many ways that I could. The loss of Aunt Margie is also tough because I know what her children are now experiencing and I love Camille, Karen, and Gaden like sisters and brother, so it is a sadness at their pain and loss as well.
I have gained so much from Aunt Margie. I thank her for being the strong woman that she has been throughout her life. We are all so blessed that she chose the medical field. She has kept us better informed on our own health. In this regard, I would also thank her for her influence on my daughter, who chose nursing because of Aunt Margie’s influence. I only hope that my daughter will also take some part of her way of nursing to become an even better nurse. I thank Aunt Margie for her directness even when it stung a little, it was always shared for my own good and if I decided not to accept it, that was ok too. I still haven’t bought that new bra yet. So goodbye Aunt Margie, you have lived this life well. Give my mom a hug for me.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice photo and comforting and interesting observations about Margie. I am sure you will miss her a great deal because of having had close proximity to her for so many years in St. George and then with her coming to Boulder, too. It has been great for us aunts to have beautiful, smart, and savvy nieces, too! We got a bunch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very touched by your tribute. Marge did touch all our lives and so many others. Mala, and I'm sure the rest of the family, are hearing stories that credit Marge with their very lives, finding out some health problem. I'm sure there are many stories out there...someone should write a book! With all the younger members...that is a possibility.
    You all have helped me out in so many ways, my own kids included. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hardly believable that she is gone. I think I can still call her up and ask about some medical advise. She was so live right to the end. "Here today..gone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its difficult to believe that I can't pick up the phone and call Aunt Margie, which I often did. She was one of the few people who left you after a conversation....well...better. Whatever might have been bothering you either psychologically or physically, she seemed to know everything. And intellectually, you could not have a better person to talk about anything. Aunt Margie had a deep understanding of family history, and how it was relevant. I can't ever remember being angry after a conversation with her. She was a voice of reason, of calm, of memory. I don't think the impact of her passing has had a fraction of its effect, she was a matriarch in our family in every sense of the word... remarkable and loved.

    ReplyDelete